
Marc Chagall
Chagall kept a studio flat inside the gated Villa Montmorency estate in Auteuil in the mid-1930s, with his wife Bella.
The private gated estate in Auteuil, laid out on the grounds of an eighteenth-century château, where Marc Chagall kept a studio in the mid-1930s before the war forced him out of France.
Villa Montmorency is not a villa but a private estate: a grid of leafy lanes in Auteuil, built on the former grounds of a château, gated and guarded and effectively invisible from the surrounding streets. It has been among the most expensive addresses in Paris since the nineteenth century.
Marc Chagall kept a studio flat inside it in the mid-1930s, with his wife Bella. The Musée Chagall's own record of his studios notes that both his Paris-period workspaces of this decade were built around a large bay window — the same preoccupation with light that runs through the late work.
It is worth setting this beside La Ruche again. Twenty years separate a shared rotunda where painters burned furniture for heat from a guarded estate in Auteuil. Very few careers in this Atlas cover that distance, and Chagall covered it while remaining, in the eyes of the French state under the Occupation, a foreign Jew whose position was not secure at all.
The estate is closed. The record exists because he worked there, not because anyone can see it.
Chagall works in a studio flat inside Villa Montmorency.
He leaves occupied France for New York.
No. It is a private gated estate with its own security, and the lanes are not public.

Chagall kept a studio flat inside the gated Villa Montmorency estate in Auteuil in the mid-1930s, with his wife Bella.
A rest house of the American Hostels for Refugees, the organisation Edith Wharton ran with Royall Tyler for civilians displaced by the German advance into Belgium and northern France.
Visit the place
Colette's long Auteuil home through the end of her second marriage — the address just before the Palais-Royal.
Visit the placeThe house in Auteuil where Marcel Proust was born on 10 July 1871 — at the time a village on the western edge of Paris rather than a city street, and the address his family had retreated to during the upheaval of the Commune.
Visit the place
The former townhouse of the Duc de Valmy at the edge of the Ranelagh gardens, bought by Jules Marmottan in 1882 and opened as a museum in 1934.
Visit the placeThe Friday Letter
The cafés, studios, and walk-up flats where the work was made — one story from the map in every letter.