
Claude Debussy
One of Debussy's documented Paris homes, his address until around 1894 - the years of the Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune and the first work on Pelleas et Melisande.
One of Claude Debussy's documented Paris homes, and his address until around 1894 — the years in which he wrote the Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune and began Pelléas et Mélisande.
Claude Debussy lived at 42 rue de Londres until roughly 1894. He was in his early thirties, poor, and in the middle of the most decisive stretch of work in his life.
The Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune was completed and first performed in 1894. He had also begun Pelléas et Mélisande, the opera that would take him the better part of a decade. Neither had yet made him any money: Debussy in these years was living on lessons, small commissions and credit, in a quarter of narrow streets behind the Gare Saint-Lazare.
The building is private and carries no marker.
The Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune is first performed; Debussy is living at this address.
The years to around 1894 produced the Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune and the earliest work on the opera Pelléas et Mélisande.

One of Debussy's documented Paris homes, his address until around 1894 - the years of the Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune and the first work on Pelleas et Melisande.

Paris's oldest terminus — Claude Monet's steam-filled train shed, the boat trains to the Atlantic liners, and the platform where the Paris chapters of F. Scott Fitzgerald's Tender Is the Night end in pistol shots.
Visit the placeManet's studio through the 1870s, whose windows looked down on what was then the rue Mosnier — the street he painted repeatedly, flags and all, in the summer of 1878.
Visit the placeOne of the oldest and most prestigious lycées in Paris, by the Gare Saint-Lazare. Marcel Proust was a pupil here, and it is where his first writing was done — in small magazines produced with schoolfriends.
Visit the placeThe flat where Marcel Proust wrote most of In Search of Lost Time, in a bedroom he had lined with cork to keep the noise of the boulevard out. He moved in on 27 December 1906, after his parents' deaths, and stayed thirteen years. The room itself is now reassembled at the Musée Carnavalet.
Visit the placeThe Friday Letter
The cafés, studios, and walk-up flats where the work was made — one story from the map in every letter.