The Paris AtlasCharting the artists, works, and places worth returning to.

Clinic · Quartier de la Gare (13th, by the Seine) · 13e arrondissement

Hôpital de la Salpêtrière

The buildingStill standing
Getting inOutside only
What's there nowStill the same

A working teaching hospital, not a monument to tour. The grounds and the exterior of Libéral Bruant's Chapelle Saint-Louis can be seen, and the chapel hosts exhibitions; the wards cannot be visited.

A vast hospital in the 13th arrondissement, founded by Louis XIV's edict of 1656 on the site of a gunpowder works — which is where the name comes from. It became the place where modern neurology was invented, in Charcot's public lectures on hysteria, and it holds Libéral Bruant's extraordinary Greek-cross chapel of 1678.

Address
47-83 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75013 Paris
Years
Founded 1656; a hospital ever since

The place, briefly

The name is the first thing to explain, because it has nothing to do with medicine. The site east of Paris, outside the walls, held the Petit Arsenal, where saltpetre — salpêtre — was manufactured for gunpowder. When Louis XIV moved that work to Vincennes, the buildings were free, and they were given to something else entirely.

On 27 April 1656 Louis XIV signed the edict creating the Hôpital Général de Paris. Its purpose was not primarily medical. It was an instrument of public order: the beggars, the poor and the various marginal people whose growing numbers were held to be disrupting the capital were to be gathered and confined. Some 33 hectares of the Salpêtrière enclosure passed into it, and the barns where saltpetre had been made were quickly judged inadequate for the numbers arriving.

For much of its first century and a half the Salpêtrière was, in effect, a place where women the state had no other plan for were put — the destitute, the old, the insane, prostitutes. That is the institution's foundation, and no account of it that skips straight to the great neurologists is telling the truth about the building.

The chapel was the grand gesture. In 1669 Louis XIV commissioned his first architect, Louis Le Vau, to design a monumental chapel dedicated to Saint Louis. Le Vau drew the plan and died in 1670; the work passed to Libéral Bruant, the architect of the Invalides, and the main structure was finished in 1678. It is built on a Greek cross — an unusual choice for a chapel of the period — with each arm running nearly 24 metres, four octagonal chapels set into the angles between them, and a choir 35 metres high at the crossing. The plan let separate categories of inmate attend the same mass without meeting each other, which tells you a good deal about how the hospital was run.

In the second half of the nineteenth century the Salpêtrière became the most famous neurological institution in the world, because of Jean-Martin Charcot. His public lectures on hysteria drew large audiences of specialists and onlookers, and included demonstrations in which he hypnotised patients — the best known of them Blanche Wittman — to produce the symptoms he was describing. The scene was painted, and the painting became one of the defining images of nineteenth-century medicine.

Charcot's teaching is where a great deal of modern neurology begins, and it is also where the study of hysteria takes the turn that runs on into psychoanalysis. The ethics of those demonstrations — women exhibited before an audience to illustrate a lecture — have been argued over ever since, and the argument is part of what the place is.

The hospital is still a working hospital, now the Pitié-Salpêtrière, one of the largest in Europe. Cléo from 5 to 7 ends here: it is where Cléo goes for the result she has spent the afternoon waiting for, and the BFI notes that the façades Varda filmed are unchanged.

Key facts

Why the name
The site made saltpetre — salpêtre — for gunpowder before it was a hospital
Founded
By Louis XIV's edict of 27 April 1656, creating the Hôpital Général
Original purpose
Confinement of the poor, the destitute and the insane — public order, not medicine
Size at foundation
About 33 hectares
The chapel
Chapelle Saint-Louis, begun by Le Vau in 1669, completed by Libéral Bruant in 1678
Chapel plan
A Greek cross with arms of nearly 24 m, four octagonal chapels, and a 35 m choir
Charcot
His public lectures on hysteria made it the world's leading neurological institution
Today
The Pitié-Salpêtrière, a working teaching hospital
In film
The closing location of Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962)

Timeline

  1. Before 1656

    The site holds the Petit Arsenal, producing saltpetre for gunpowder; the work is later moved to Vincennes.

  2. 27 April 1656

    Louis XIV signs the edict creating the Hôpital Général de Paris; the Salpêtrière enclosure passes into it.

  3. 1669

    Louis XIV commissions Louis Le Vau to design a monumental chapel dedicated to Saint Louis.

  4. 1670

    Le Vau dies having drawn only the plan; Libéral Bruant, architect of the Invalides, takes the work on.

  5. 1678

    The Chapelle Saint-Louis is completed.

  6. 19th century

    Jean-Martin Charcot's lectures on hysteria draw large public audiences and make the hospital world-famous.

  7. 1962

    Agnès Varda films the ending of Cléo from 5 to 7 at the hospital.

On the map

Questions before you go

Why is it called the Salpêtrière?

Because the site was a gunpowder works. Before it was a hospital it held the Petit Arsenal, where saltpetre — salpêtre in French — was manufactured for gunpowder. Louis XIV moved that production to Vincennes, and the empty buildings were turned over to the new Hôpital Général.

When was the Salpêtrière founded and why?

By an edict Louis XIV signed on 27 April 1656 creating the Hôpital Général de Paris. Its original purpose was not medical treatment but confinement: gathering up the beggars, the poor and the insane whose numbers were held to be disturbing the capital. For much of its early history it housed women the state had no other provision for.

Who was Charcot and what did he do there?

Jean-Martin Charcot was the neurologist who made the Salpêtrière the most famous institution of its kind in the world. His public lectures on hysteria drew large audiences and included demonstrations in which he hypnotised patients — Blanche Wittman the best known — to produce the symptoms under discussion. Much of modern neurology begins with his teaching, and the ethics of those public demonstrations have been debated ever since.

Can you visit the Salpêtrière?

It is a working teaching hospital, so the wards are not open to visitors. The grounds and the exterior of the Chapelle Saint-Louis can be seen, and the chapel is used for exhibitions, which is the usual way in. Treat it as a building to look at rather than a monument to tour.

What is special about the chapel?

The Chapelle Saint-Louis was begun by Louis Le Vau in 1669 and completed by Libéral Bruant, the architect of the Invalides, in 1678. It is built on a Greek cross with arms of nearly 24 metres and a choir 35 metres high, with four octagonal chapels set into the angles — a plan that allowed different categories of inmate to attend the same mass without mixing.

Was the Salpêtrière in any films?

It is where Agnès Varda's Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962) ends — the hospital Cléo goes to for the medical result she has spent the film waiting for. The BFI records that the façades Varda filmed are unchanged today.

Art and film tied to this place

Release poster for Cléo de 5 à 7: Corinne Marchand as Cléo above the film's title, in the 1962 Left Bank release artwork

Set here

Cléo from 5 to 7

Agnès Varda · 1962

Varda shot the film on location across Paris in close to real time, so its addresses are the film's clock rather than its decoration.

Within walking distance

The Friday Letter

Paris, one address at a time.

The cafés, studios, and walk-up flats where the work was made — one story from the map in every letter.

One email a week. No spam, no selling your address. Unsubscribe anytime.