The Paris AtlasCharting the artists, works, and places worth returning to.

Theatre · Faubourg-Montmartre (9th) · 9e arrondissement

Salle Le Peletier

The buildingDemolished
Getting inOutside only
What's there nowNothing survives

Destroyed by fire in 1873 and never rebuilt. The coordinate is an approximation of the historic site from the recorded street address — this should not be read as a surviving building.

The theatre that housed the Paris Opera until it burned down in 1873. Its stage, rehearsal rooms and subscribers' foyer are the world behind Degas's dancers — and he went on painting it from memory long after it was ash.

Address
rue Le Peletier, 75009 Paris
Years
Home of the Paris Opera until the fire of 1873

The place, briefly

For most of the nineteenth century the Paris Opera performed here, on the rue Le Peletier, in a theatre that had been put up as a temporary measure and lasted half a century. It was the centre of a whole social machine: the performances, the ballet school, the rehearsal rooms, and the foyer de la danse where wealthy male subscribers were permitted to mix with the dancers before and after they went on.

That machine is Edgar Degas's subject. The dancers he painted are usually at work rather than in performance — at the barre, waiting, adjusting a shoe, being corrected — and the men in black at the edges of those pictures are the subscribers. It is a body of work about labour, and about who was watching, and it is set in this building.

The theatre burned in October 1873. The Opera moved into the Palais Garnier when it opened in 1875, and Degas went there too. But the rooms in many of his later compositions are still recognisably the ones on the rue Le Peletier: he kept painting a theatre that no longer existed, from memory and from the studies he had already made.

Nothing of the building survives. The coordinate here approximates the historic address rather than marking anything a visitor can see.

Key facts

What it was
Home of the Paris Opera for roughly fifty years
Destroyed
By fire in 1873
Successor
The Palais Garnier, opened 1875
Why Degas matters here
The rehearsal rooms and foyer in his dance pictures are these ones
Access
Nothing survives; the location is approximate

Timeline

  1. 1873

    The Salle Le Peletier is destroyed by fire.

  2. 1875

    The Palais Garnier opens and the Opera moves there.

On the map

Questions before you go

Can you visit the Salle Le Peletier?

No. It burned down in 1873 and was never rebuilt. Nothing of the theatre survives on the rue Le Peletier.

Which opera house did Degas paint?

Both — but the interiors in many of his dance pictures are the Salle Le Peletier, which he continued to paint from memory and earlier studies after it burned and the Opera moved to the Palais Garnier.

What was the foyer de la danse?

A room where subscribers to the Opera were allowed to mingle with the dancers around performances. The men in evening dress at the edges of Degas's ballet scenes are these subscribers.

People who knew this place

Illustrated portrait of Edgar Degas

Edgar Degas

French · Painter

The Paris Opera occupied the Salle Le Peletier until it burned in 1873. Its stage, rehearsal rooms and subscribers' foyer are the setting of Degas's dance pictures, many of which he continued to compose from memory of these rooms after the building was gone.

Within walking distance

The Friday Letter

Paris, one address at a time.

The cafés, studios, and walk-up flats where the work was made — one story from the map in every letter.

One email a week. No spam, no selling your address. Unsubscribe anytime.