The Paris AtlasCharting the artists, works, and places worth returning to.

Apartment · Île Saint-Louis · 4e arrondissement

Camille Claudel's studio, 19 quai de Bourbon

The buildingStill standing
Getting inOutside only
What's there nowSomeone else

A protected monument historique in private copropriété. The courtyard studio cannot be visited; there is a commemorative plaque on the street front. The building also carries the address 26 rue Le Regrattier.

The last place Camille Claudel lived and worked — a very small studio at the back of the courtyard of the Hôtel de Jassaud on the Île Saint-Louis, from January 1899 until she was committed in 1913. The building stands and carries a plaque; the studio is private.

Address
19 quai de Bourbon, 75004 Paris
Years
Camille Claudel's home and studio, January 1899 to 1913

The place, briefly

In January 1899 Camille Claudel moved into the Hôtel de Jassaud at 19 quai de Bourbon, on the northern quay of the Île Saint-Louis. It was her last address. She lived and worked here for fourteen years.

The City of Paris describes the workspace precisely: a very small studio, hidden at the back of the building's courtyard. That is the physical fact this page is built on, and it is worth sitting with — the sculptor of The Waltz and The Age of Maturity spent her final working years in a cramped room behind a courtyard on an island, increasingly isolated, increasingly poor.

She had been Auguste Rodin's student, model and collaborator, and by this point the relationship was long over. Her own work continued here for years before it stopped.

In 1913 she was committed to an asylum. She remained institutionalised for the last thirty years of her life and never sculpted again.

The building survives and is protected as a monument historique — the Ancien hôtel de Jassaud, which also carries the address 26 rue Le Regrattier round the corner. It is in private copropriété, so the studio at the back of the courtyard is not accessible. There is a commemorative plaque on the street front, and that is what a visitor sees.

The map pin here is the street entrance rather than the studio, because the studio was behind it and cannot be located separately.

Key facts

When
January 1899 to 1913 — her last home and studio
The building
The Ancien hôtel de Jassaud, also addressed 26 rue Le Regrattier
The studio itself
Very small, at the back of the courtyard
What ended it
She was committed in 1913 and never sculpted again
Protection
Monument historique, in private copropriété
What you can see
The street front and its commemorative plaque
The pin
The entrance — the courtyard studio cannot be located separately

Timeline

  1. January 1899

    Claudel moves into the Hôtel de Jassaud at 19 quai de Bourbon.

  2. 1899–1913

    She lives and works in the small studio at the back of the courtyard, in growing isolation.

  3. 1913

    She is committed to an asylum, and never sculpts again.

On the map

Questions before you go

Where was Camille Claudel's studio?

At 19 quai de Bourbon on the Île Saint-Louis, in the Hôtel de Jassaud, from January 1899 until 1913. The City of Paris describes it as a very small studio hidden at the back of the building's courtyard. It was her last home and workplace.

Can you visit it?

No. The building is a protected monument historique in private copropriété, and the studio is behind the courtyard. What is visible is the street front and a commemorative plaque — which is why the map marks the entrance rather than the studio itself.

What happened to her there?

She lived and worked in the studio for fourteen years, in increasing isolation and poverty, long after her relationship with Rodin had ended. In 1913 she was committed to an asylum, where she remained for the last thirty years of her life. She never sculpted again.

Why does the building have two addresses?

The Hôtel de Jassaud occupies a corner and is recorded by the Ministry of Culture under both 19 quai de Bourbon and 26 rue Le Regrattier. Older sources may use either.

People who knew this place

Camille Claudel

French · Sculptor

Claudel moved into the Hôtel de Jassaud in January 1899 and stayed until she was committed in 1913. The City of Paris describes her workspace as a very small studio hidden at the back of the courtyard. She never sculpted again after 1913.

Within walking distance

The Friday Letter

Paris, one address at a time.

The cafés, studios, and walk-up flats where the work was made — one story from the map in every letter.

One email a week. No spam, no selling your address. Unsubscribe anytime.