
Édouard Manet
Manet moved to an apartment at 39 rue de Saint-Petersbourg in 1878 and remained associated with the address until his death in 1883.
The apartment Édouard Manet moved to in 1878 and remained associated with until his death in 1883, in the last years when illness had reduced what he could physically paint.
Édouard Manet took an apartment here in 1878, a few doors along the same street from the studio he had just given up, and the address stayed his until he died in 1883.
These were hard years. Manet was seriously ill — the illness is generally identified as locomotor ataxia arising from syphilis — and walking, standing and working all became progressively harder. The work adapted rather than stopped: the late still lifes of fruit and flowers, small and close at hand, come from a painter who could no longer stand at a large canvas for long.
The last major picture, A Bar at the Folies-Bergère, was shown at the Salon in 1882. Manet died on 30 April 1883, aged fifty-one, and is buried in the family tomb at Passy Cemetery.
Manet moves into 39 rue de Saint-Pétersbourg.
A Bar at the Folies-Bergère is shown at the Salon.
Manet dies on 30 April and is buried at Passy Cemetery.
At 39 rue de Saint-Pétersbourg in the 8th arrondissement, from 1878 until his death on 30 April 1883.
Illness. In his last years he could not stand at a large canvas for long, and the late work concentrates on small, close subjects — particularly still lifes of fruit and flowers.

Manet moved to an apartment at 39 rue de Saint-Petersbourg in 1878 and remained associated with the address until his death in 1883.

The crossroads where four arrondissements collide — and where Louis-Ferdinand Céline opens Journey to the End of the Night at a café table, with a recruitment parade passing and his narrator Bardamu jumping up to join the war.
Visit the placeThe big brasserie on the place de Clichy that Henry Miller used as his base during the Clichy years later recreated in Quiet Days in Clichy — somewhere to write, to wait for people, and to watch the square. Currently closed for renovation.
Visit the placeThe Batignolles café where Édouard Manet held court through the 1860s and the painters who would become the Impressionists argued out what they were doing. Its address has since been renamed and renumbered, and nothing of it survives.
Visit the placeManet's studio through the 1870s, whose windows looked down on what was then the rue Mosnier — the street he painted repeatedly, flags and all, in the summer of 1878.
Visit the placeThe Friday Letter
The cafés, studios, and walk-up flats where the work was made — one story from the map in every letter.