The place, briefly
The building exists because of a date. In 1892 the president of the Republic, Sadi Carnot, decided that Paris would hold the World's Fair of 1900; construction of the Grand Palais began in 1897 with three years to finish it, and it opened to the public in May 1900, built of steel, stone and glass. From 1901 it took in the annual exhibitions and the equestrian competitions that the new hall was large enough to hold.
Both wars requisitioned it. In 1914 the Grand Palais became a military hospital and rehabilitation centre for the wounded; in 1940, as state property, it was requisitioned again under the German occupation of Paris. The art programme that made its later reputation began in 1966, when the Galeries nationales staged their first major exhibitions under André Malraux, then minister of culture.
What followed is a list of things that could only happen in a hall this size. In October 1971 Paris gave Francis Bacon a retrospective here, an honour his estate calls exceptional for a living painter; two nights before it opened, his lover George Dyer died of an overdose in their hotel room on the rue des Saints-Pères, and Bacon went to the opening anyway. Keith Haring showed in the Biennale de Paris here in 1985. From the 1990s Karl Lagerfeld staged the Chanel collections under the glass roof, filling the nave season after season with a supermarket, a rocket, a beach; when he died in February 2019, the industry's memorial to him, Karl For Ever, was held in the same hall on 20 June 2019. In 2011 Anish Kapoor filled the nave with Leviathan, an inflated red structure visitors walked into, for the commission called Monumenta.
The nave was listed as a historic monument in 1975 and the whole building followed in 2000. Restoration work began in 2021 and ran four years. During it the Grand Palais took part in the Paris Olympic and Paralympic Games of 2024, holding the fencing and taekwondo events — the second time in its history it has been used for the Olympics — and the complete building reopened in 2025. It now opens Tuesday to Sunday from 9.30 am to 8.00 pm, with late opening on Fridays, and several areas can be entered without a ticket.